Status: In development
Release Date: TBA
Imagine if every myth, conspiracy theory and urban legend was true. Imagine if your worst nightmare came to life. Imagine a world where vampires hunt for mortal blood in dingy London nightclubs, where werewolves lurk in the sewers beneath Seoul, and where the undead prey on the living in the shadows of New York City. This is the premise for «The Secret World», Funcom's upcoming massively multiplayer online game set in the modern day real world.
• Urban environments - Throw yourself into the bustling urban environments of New York, London and Seoul. Shop for clothes, weapons and accessories. Stop by the local nightclub to socialize with your friends before heading out into the darkness that is slowly encroaching on the city streets.
• Real-world locations - Discover real-world locations throughout Europe, Asia, Africa and America. From New England to Egypt, explore vast lands full of detail and story as you unravel the myths, legends and conspiracies of the world through a unique, story-driven gameplay experience.
• Freeform gameplay - Experience a game that has no classes or levels. Truly freeform character customization allows you to create the alter-ego you want to play, and gameplay that goes beyond the usually rigid MMO structure allows you to play the game the way you want to play it.
• Hundreds of powers - Wield fiery katana, gold-plated pistols, and deadly automatic rifles. Learn martial arts, black magic and voodoo. Choose from hundreds of powers to create a character completely customized to your liking.
• Action-packed combat - Lose yourself in the most intense real-time action-packed combat system ever. Aim, strafe, shoot – movement is key as bullets fly past you and explosions threaten to tear you apart. Swords or firearms, magic and melee, each offering a similarly intense, reactive combat experience.
• Secret societies - Join the Illuminati, the Templars or the Dragon - the three secret societies that pull the strings of our world. Work your way to the top, earn titles and rewards, and play a key role in the battle for world domination.
• Player-made organisations - Create or join player-made organisations called cabals. Create your own headquarters, and decorate and furnish it to your liking. All cabals are ranked against each other, and a cabal's success will bring fame, fortune and power to its members.
• Track your progress - Earn points for everything you do - from combat and exploration, to trade skills and PvP - in order to rank high on both local and global scoreboards, gain titles and worldwide acclaim, and help make your secret society the most powerful and influential of them all.
• Intense player vs. player combat - Take part in ferocious, non-stop player vs. player action in the Battle for Hollow Earth. Fight to control anima, a priceless resource deep within the bowels of our world that will bring unprecedented power to whichever cabal that collects it
• Next-generation graphics - Featuring the latest in cutting-edge graphics technology, explore beautifully realized real-world locations that will truly set the standard for next-generation massively multiplayer online games. Prepare for an audiovisual experience unlike anything seen before.
Electronic Arts just announced that they’ll co-publish The Secret World, the upcoming horror MMORPG from Funcom, makers of Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures.
More info on The Secret World - May 28, 2010
Ragnar Tornquist, the director of MMO The Secret World, answered a few more community questions for the horror themed online game from Funcom, the makers of Age of Conan.
Secret World: Funcom layoffs - September 30, 2009
Funcom, developer of Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures isn't in great shape. According to E24, there's a 20% layoff (from an estimated 300 workers) going on...
The Secret World details and screens - September 11, 2009
Funcom unveiled more about their upcoming MMORPG The Secret World during PAX 2009. We can now see the first official screenshots.
The Secret World website updated - September 3, 2009
Funcom updated The Secret World site. The forthcoming MMORPG official website now features a ten question quiz.
The Secret World info soon - August 25, 2009
Just one week left for PAX (starts on September 4 and runs through September 6) and it seems that there are a couple of MMOs ready to be shown in detail.